Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Either/Or expanded edition coming out April, 2017

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: Either/Or expanded edition coming out April, 2017

Postby larrycrane » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm

placeholder68 wrote:Thank you for maintaining a presence on the forum, and for doing the promotional rounds.
every time I say I won't do press about Elliott ever again, but working on this was so positive and amazing that I felt it would be good to make sure people knew the care we put into it. I am always scared that some might interpret me as hogging for publicity for myself or something gross.
larrycrane

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby larrycrane » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm

[quote="placeholder68"]Do you see there being an avenue for "curiosities" in the future?

If everything was solely up to me there would be more songs on the bonus disc. Hell, I'd do a boxed set based on Either/Or and wrap in related tracks from New Moon, Mic City Sons, the alternate versions 4 songs, a live show, etc. But I didn't wanna suggest going that far!!! In the end I think it's kind of a nice bonus disc and doesn't overshadow the main album. I don't know where the "stragglers" would end up. I was happy to get a few odd instrumentals and stuff on the HAY soundtrack, but I also read reviews that said negative things about it. I thought fans would be happy, and in my heart I'm a music fan more than anything and like hearing more of an artist's work. I can understand how you do too.

The big thing to remember is that this stuff is scrutinized by media and fans. People always refer to Jeff Buckley's catalog when talking to me, and say negative things about too much being released posthumously. I actually have no idea if that's the case, I've never listened to the albums in question or even seen a list of titles(!). But I know Elliott's folks do not want it to be perceived that they are plundering the vaults for any little scrap or that it's all about money or something like that. But imagine if we did a "rarities" album: What would people say? I can tell you it would not be the strongest record of Elliott's by any shot! But the songs all have something going on of interest. But then people would say mean **** about it, and though fans might embrace it it could taint Elliott's catalog and/or memory in some way. I just don't know...

larrycrane has been thanked by:
larrycrane

Postby placeholder68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm

[quote="larrycrane"][quote="placeholder68"]Do you see there being an avenue for "curiosities" in the future?

If everything was solely up to me there would be more songs on the bonus disc. Hell, I'd do a boxed set based on Either/Or and wrap in related tracks from New Moon, Mic City Sons, the alternate versions 4 songs, a live show, etc. But I didn't wanna suggest going that far!!! In the end I think it's kind of a nice bonus disc and doesn't overshadow the main album. I don't know where the "stragglers" would end up. I was happy to get a few odd instrumentals and stuff on the HAY soundtrack, but I also read reviews that said negative things about it. I thought fans would be happy, and in my heart I'm a music fan more than anything and like hearing more of an artist's work. I can understand how you do too.

The big thing to remember is that this stuff is scrutinized by media and fans. People always refer to Jeff Buckley's catalog when talking to me, and say negative things about too much being released posthumously. I actually have no idea if that's the case, I've never listened to the albums in question or even seen a list of titles(!). But I know Elliott's folks do not want it to be perceived that they are plundering the vaults for any little scrap or that it's all about money or something like that. But imagine if we did a "rarities" album: What would people say? I can tell you it would not be the strongest record of Elliott's by any shot! But the songs all have something going on of interest. But then people would say mean **** about it, and though fans might embrace it it could taint Elliott's catalog and/or memory in some way. I just don't know...

EO Expanded is definitely a nice bonus disc, but with the scarcity of releases and never knowing if another one is coming, there's a tendency to clamour and want more, more, more from fans like me. Glad to hear you're of the mind to put more out there, but yeah, I get that it's totally complicated.

It does really bother me that naysayers and critics can maybe, somewhat, even slightly possibly influence the release of more Elliott music. Preserving ES' legacy is paramount (and I can't even imagine bearing any of the weight of something like that), but I would argue there's an effective way to do it posthumously that isn't crass. Alas, I'm preaching to the choir, but I know exactly the type of (baseless, I think) comments you're talking about.

The vault plundering/money grubbing comments, or threat of, suck. They seem to get hurled at Hendrix's family a lot. Maybe it's true in that case, I don't know. All I do know is that they've put out a ton of work I'm super happy to hear. I never understood the idea of "new" releases taking something away from older ones.

Obviously, the handling of posthumous releases is subjective and touchy, but given the care the 3 of ES' have seen (4 with EO Expanded), I'd hate to see some negative dorks control the narrative. I say **** 'em, but who am I.

Thanks again.

And hey, if you ever get the chance, check out Big Star's Third box-set (http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/complete-third/) on Omnivore as an example if you're ever looking for a From A Basement project to pitch or curate. :)
placeholder68

Have thanks: 5 time

Postby Rhynog33 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Larry, which three songs did you spend the most time on remastering? I would assume the tracks with drums and bass, but maybe not?

Also, to the point of not wanting to release too much posthumous material, I wish they would release box sets. I have so many bootlegged recordings that haven't been released of rarities and demos. Would love the chance to buy that stuff to show support and also to get higher quality versions. Thanks, Larry!
Rhynog33

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby amnesti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Larry, first off I want to thank you for answering these questions. I've really been enjoying the remastered tracks on the new album, and every new track that went along with it.

However, there seems to be some sort of distortion going on for some certain tracks. Between the Bars in particular has some kind of oddly compressed sound, It's almost like the vibration of the guitar is mixed too high. You can hear this on Kill Rock Stars uploaded video as well, however it is much more noticable if you listen to the FLAC version. I'm wondering if this is something you know about?
amnesti

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby placeholder68 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:00 pm

amnesti wrote:Larry, first off I want to thank you for answering these questions. I've really been enjoying the remastered tracks on the new album, and every new track that went along with it.

However, there seems to be some sort of distortion going on for some certain tracks. Between the Bars in particular has some kind of oddly compressed sound, It's almost like the vibration of the guitar is mixed too high. You can hear this on Kill Rock Stars uploaded video as well, however it is much more noticable if you listen to the FLAC version. I'm wondering if this is something you know about?

I noticed that in Say Yes, as well. It almost sounded like a bit crusher.
placeholder68

Have thanks: 5 time

Postby larrycrane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Rhynog33 wrote:Larry, which three songs did you spend the most time on remastering? I would assume the tracks with drums and bass, but maybe not?

It felt pretty equal overall. Maybe No Name took the most "changes" I guess. I never catalog my work in this way, and the album had to be approached as a whole (the orig album).
larrycrane

Postby larrycrane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 pm

amnesti wrote:there seems to be some sort of distortion going on for some certain tracks. Between the Bars in particular has some kind of oddly compressed sound, It's almost like the vibration of the guitar is mixed too high.

When a track's level is somewhat increased so are the artifacts brought more to the fore. Like I mentioned in some interviews, I remixed these 2 songs and could make them "cleaner" but it didn't feel right. I went with the album mixes on everything, and that includes whatever part of the original mixing process (console, DAT, DAT convertors) that makes them a bit grittier. I can assure you it's not bit decimation!

larrycrane has been thanked by:
larrycrane

Postby larrycrane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm

PS: When critically listening make sure your entire system is top quality. Gain structures, signal chain, amps, monitors, headphones, convertors, etc; These all can make a recording sound worse. On my BURL convertors and ATC monitors, and on whatever we had at Telegraph Mastering, we heard everything very clearly. It's quite easy for a consumer CD player to distort, not to mention everything that can go wrong when playing audio from a computer. 1/8" jack to your stereo or headphones? Might as well forget it. You'll be listening to the crap convertors and headphone amp in your computer and the music will be massively compromised. I'm skeptical of most LP players, needles, carts, and preamps as well. Most fail at some level. These are my professional (and spoiled) opinions so please refrain from trying to start some argument with me about any of this. I won't respond.

PS: Please don't post lists here of what gear you are using or ask me questions about home listening gear. I use expensive pro stuff because of work and don't have any idea which "audiophile" gear is utter crap or great. A lot of it is based on BS and marketing....
larrycrane

Postby larrycrane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:43 pm

placeholder68 wrote:hey, if you ever get the chance, check out Big Star's Third box-set (http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/complete-third/) on Omnivore as an example if you're ever looking for a From A Basement project to pitch or curate. :)

I just ordered this. Must be the 4th or fifth time I've bough this album! I didn't know about this version. Jody and I get to hang out occasionally; he's one of my favorite people.
larrycrane

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion