Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Either/Or expanded edition coming out April, 2017

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Either/Or expanded edition coming out April, 2017

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 am

https://killrockstars.merchtable.com/bu ... F1f2bYrJsY

We will get on the second disc the live show and some unnamed unreleased tracks. Wonder what those are.

Daniel has been thanked by:
Daniel

Have thanks: 26 time

Re: Either/Or expanded edition coming out April, 2017

Postby ellistration » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:12 am

ellistration has been thanked by:
ellistration

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 am

yep, saw already.

nothing genuinely new. And they are slightly misleading when saying that I can never Figure it Out or Bottle Up and Explode alternate have never been released. They have. Only genuine new thing - I Figured You Out. We never had that one in normal quality.
Daniel

Have thanks: 26 time

Postby numero9 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:59 pm

It'll be nice to hear that BU&E! in better quality, same with My New Freedom.

One glaring missing track from this that I would have loved to hear remastered is "The Enemy is You". It was the original bonus track to E/O! I don't know why this was left off. :(
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby ateslik » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

ateslik has been thanked by:
ateslik

Have thanks: 8 time

Postby numero9 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:14 pm

New York Times has some remarks from Larry - http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/arts/ ... issue.html

numero9 has been thanked by:
numero9

Postby eddiebrock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
ellistration wrote:Tracklist here:

[url]<a class="vglnk" href="https://elliottsmith.bandcamp.com/album/either-or-expanded-edition[/url][/quote" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>elliottsmith</span><span>.</span><span>bandcamp</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>album</span><span>/</span><span>either</span><span>-</span><span>or</span><span>-</span><span>expanded</span><span>-</span><span>edition</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span><span>][/</span><span>quote</span></a>]
yep, saw already.

nothing genuinely new. And they are slightly misleading when saying that I can never Figure it Out or Bottle Up and Explode alternate have never been released. They have. Only genuine new thing - I Figured You Out. We never had that one in normal quality.

I sense some pessimism from you Daniel :D

Will point out a few things:

* The live show especially in SBD quality is a treat because we don't have "My New Freedom" in decent quality in any era, so that's a bonus.
* The "New Monkey" keys version is probably the organ intro version of the song that has been in crappy quality for many years. So it's an upgrade at minimum, and at best it could be something completely different like how "Punch and Judy (other version)" was.
* The "Bottle Up and Explode" is a completely different version than has been released before. Someone got a hold of the lyrics from an amazon image grab and saw that it's akin to the acapella version recorded for Soul Coughing that ended up getting used for those EDM mixes a few years back.
* We already mentioned "I Figured You Out"

I think this is a pretty solid compilation of stuff but that's just me. I would also say that the "Bottle Up and Explode" revelation should indicate to all of us to calm down and wait and see before making assumptions. I would even extend that to "New Monkey (keys)" - like "Bottle up and Explode," it could also be something completely different that we've never heard before.

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby eddiebrock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Here is the "keys" version I cobbled together for "New Monkey" around 7 years ago. I wonder if they are going to pull some similar trickery (meaning take that short organ instrumental and mix it with the 'well known' intro of the song), and call that the "new version," or if this will be something different. Anyway here's my 2009 attempt at a mix when I used to love doing this kind of stuff:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/izzkelmev ... Mix%29.mp3

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Re:

Postby eddiebrock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:52 pm

numero9 wrote:It'll be nice to hear that BU&E! in better quality, same with My New Freedom.

One glaring missing track from this that I would have loved to hear remastered is "The Enemy is You". It was the original bonus track to E/O! I don't know why this was left off. :(

Guessing it's because a) there is no new or alternate version or upgrade to include and b) it was released already as a Dreamworks/Universal B-Side, so unlike Heaven Adores You where they probably had carte blanche from Universal to use whatever they wanted from any era (i.e. Son of Sam acoustic), here they probably had to pull some special deal just to get "bottle up and explode" included, or possibly even were able to swing using it because the lyrics are completely different and have no resemblance to the XO version so maybe they got away with telling universal it's not the same song, with the exception of the title, and therefore they didn't need to pony up anything extra. just a guess!
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby numero9 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Are we sure this isn't the BU&E! that starts out "Bottle up and explode because you react slower than slow..." "...it's only been a year and a half, thinking that that was a matter of fact..."

Edit: nm, saw the lyric sheet sentence.

It just feels uncomplete without Enemy though. I understand since it was a Baby Britain b-side, but I think they could have provided a cogent argument to Universal as it was a bonus track for Either/Or. Now it's kind of lost in the void.
numero9

Next

Return to General Discussion