Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Heaven Adores You is getting a soundtrack.

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: Heaven Adores You is getting a soundtrack.

Postby numero9 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:21 pm

One could argue for Figure 8 being a bit of a dusting off time -- Easy Way Out and Junk Bond Trader come to mind.

numero9 has been thanked by:
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby solveig » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:39 am

numero9 wrote:One could argue for Figure 8 being a bit of a dusting off time -- Easy Way Out and Junk Bond Trader come to mind.

out of nearly 30 tracks, that wasn't really significative. there wasn't any shortage of "new material" yet. besides, he spent some time with garrick duckler shortly before he recorded, it may have rekindled his interest for "junk bond trader"
solveig

Have thanks: 215 time

Postby runnersdialzero » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:44 pm

eddiebrock wrote:All the liner notes and articles have stated it's from 1995-1996. That Pitchfork article confused a lot of people.

The organ version, I'm not sure but I can't imagine it would be in a different time. Elliott wasn't really into "dusting off" his unused solo songs until Basement.

I'm not so sure he would make the distinction between "solo songs" and things he wrote for other bands he was in, etc. when deciding to bring something old back, as long as it was something he wrote. He did a fair amount of dusting off for each album, it would seem (especially after Either/Or, but even that had some older stuff kicking around during the sessions), and the slightly higher amount of "dusting off" for Basement can probably be attributed to Charlie giving him that CD-R.

Regardless, I guess there's no way to know for sure when this version is from until this sort of thing is confirmed. I had assumed it was from 95-96, too. Wouldn't be the first time Elliott tried out a few different arrangements of the same song in a short period.

Thanks for the clarification @ solveig/eddiebrock. Nice to still see a lot of familiar names kicking around ^_^ I used to post on sweetaddy pretty often. I guess some of you might remember me as the guy who stumbled upon and leaked "Suicide Machine". Or possibly as an irrational and angry on-the-wrong-kind-of-anti-depressants-o-god-help-us-all idiot :'( Those were good times, even if I'd probably be pretty embarrassed by a good 90% of my posts back then.

runnersdialzero has been thanked by:
runnersdialzero

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby numero9 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 pm

solveig wrote:
numero9 wrote:One could argue for Figure 8 being a bit of a dusting off time -- Easy Way Out and Junk Bond Trader come to mind.

out of nearly 30 tracks, that wasn't really significative. there wasn't any shortage of "new material" yet. besides, he spent some time with garrick duckler shortly before he recorded, it may have rekindled his interest for "junk bond trader"

Fair enough, I'm not saying it was on par with Basement or Either/Or eras, but it's not like he never stopped thinking about his back catalog. One could also argue for Happiness, pretty much made a day too late for XO that made it on Figure 8 and somehow Dancing on the Highway similarly didn't. Pretty Mary K being reworked completely was a theme he took from earlier. Who knows what else we haven't heard from the Duckler era ended up being re-tooled from Figure 8 since we don't have access to it.

Anyway, I think it's safe to assume all three Last Hours are from 95/96. Elliott really started to use the organ in a lot of songs around that time. S/T has a bit of it and wasn't New Disaster on the same reel as The Last Hour? Seems like there were multiple takes of songs with the added organ then for both. Perhaps both the organ version of Last Hour was on the same reel that Larry used to mashup the New Moon version of New Disaster. What else was on that reel, does anyone remember? Most of the Either/Or outtakes feature a similar organ -- Going Nowhere, New Monkey, Fear City, Pretty Mary K, Either/Or, etc.

numero9 has been thanked by:
numero9

Postby SomethingLost » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 pm

eddiebrock wrote:All the liner notes and articles have stated it's from 1995-1996. That Pitchfork article confused a lot of people.

The organ version, I'm not sure but I can't imagine it would be in a different time. Elliott wasn't really into "dusting off" his unused solo songs until Basement.

either/or-- demoed: fear city, punch & judy (maybe), fear city, the real estate.
XO-- sweet adeline, everybody cares everybody understands (cecilia/amanda demoed)
figure 8-- junk bond trader, easy way out

Elliott was always writing and rewriting.
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby eddiebrock » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 pm

"Wasn't really" means not to the extent he did for Basement, which is literally every single song. But fair point.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby SomethingLost » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 pm

eddiebrock wrote:"Wasn't really" means not to the extent he did for Basement, which is literally every single song. But fair point.

Not at all?
Basement: Coast to Coast, King's Crossing, The Last Hour, Shooting Star, Memory Lane.

It's a smidgen higher, but we don't even know what he would have included in the final tracklisting. Maybe The Last Hour wouldn't have even made Elliott's cut. It is an Either/Or recording after all. We also have a little bit more information about the Basement sessions. God knows what else Elliott was personally considering and recording for the other records.

Remember that Figure 8 era photo of the sheet of paper with dozens and dozens of song titles?
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby numero9 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:21 am

I highly doubt The Last Hour would have been on Elliott's Basement.

When do we call Elliott truly working on Basement?

Early 99 we see Flowers for Charlie, Sorry My Mistake, etc.

By mid 00, we see Struck Down Again, Twilight/Somebody's Baby, Pretty (Ugly Before), and A Fond Farewell. Those songs could all have their roots in the rejected album that wasn't Basement.

By early 01, we get Let's Get Lost, True Love, Blue Mood, Strung Out Again, and A Passing Feeling.

This era is really murky.
numero9

Postby Daniel » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:37 pm

so, those in the know - how did OST and the film sell? Were the suits happy enough to consider more archival releases in the future?
Daniel

Have thanks: 26 time

Postby larrycrane » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:53 pm

Hey guys, I hardly ever look here but I noticed you were talking about "Last Hour". The organ version is one I tracked at Jackpot! in 1997 (I think). It still needs a "solo"! If anyone has questions like this I don't mind answering if you ever wanna drop a line: http://tapeop.com/contact/email/larry-crane

larrycrane has been thanked by:
larrycrane

Have thanks: 28 time

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion