Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

"Heaven Adores You"

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: "Heaven Adores You"

Postby Kevin Moyer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 pm

eddiebrock wrote: I imagine the hold up is because there are multiple eras of recordings to not only go through but make presentable for a release, with this as the teaser and build-up.

yes, the soundtrack i pitched has songs from multiple eras and owners / labels / corporate entities, all of whom need to come to agreement first. i have been working on it every day for last i can't remember how long, and some really great people at the labels have been too, so hopefully people can be patient and supportive while we work to hopefully give them what they are wanting...

eddiebrock wrote: And as always, let's be grateful and thankful for what we get.

good advice, just for life in general.

Kevin Moyer has been thanked by:
Kevin Moyer

Have thanks: 77 time

Postby SomethingLost » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:56 am

Hey Kevin, thank you! As vaguely as possible, does the soundtrack you pitched include songs only included in the film, or ones not included as well? In other words, does the potential soundtrack create its own narrative, or serve the films? Fingers crossed and all the luck in the world in getting it released!
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby eddiebrock » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:11 am

Listening to the '96-'97 rendition of "Coast to Coast" is mind-blowing. The placement in the movie suddenly makes the lyrics of the song make total sense as the interviews discuss Elliott making up his mind to leave one coast (Portland) for another coast (New York) and asks people to "leave me alone." Not only that, but his voice is prime condition and it's got that all-sorts-of-COOL in his voice, drums, that Elliott exuded most between '95 - '97, IMO.

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby thoraxcorp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Just watched the film! One thing I thought was interesting was the audio from this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDKJCCmpD0) that was released a few years ago. The one that has backstage recordings of Elliott Smith on tour during XO. When they were discussing this period in the documentary, they had clips from this video with the audio! I have always wanted to watch the "XO tour" video without the music played on top of the original audio (not to say I wasn't incredibly grateful and happy to be able to watch it at all, I just would love to hear Elliott joking and laughing :) Has this ever been released?

Thanks again Kevin for all your hard work! Was definitely worth the wait.
thoraxcorp

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby Kevin Moyer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Last edited by Kevin Moyer on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Moyer

Postby Kevin Moyer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:25 pm

SomethingLost wrote:Hey Kevin, thank you! As vaguely as possible, does the soundtrack you pitched include songs only included in the film, or ones not included as well? In other words, does the potential soundtrack create its own narrative, or serve the films? Fingers crossed and all the luck in the world in getting it released!

I actually pitched five or six different ideas. The two most interesting were a soundtrack with only Elliott music that is used in the movie (which is what we are doing), and the other was an "addendum piece" that would have included new songs not in the movie (which I would still love to do some day if they allow it). But since this is a soundtrack release, I think they definitely made the right choice in deciding to keep it to stuff that we use in the film, only. And so we are working to make the soundtrack feel reflective of both the movie narrative and of course representative of Elliott's career that is depicted too. Lots of stuff that should be of interest, and hopefully its put together in a way that is also an enjoyable listen. I spent a lot of time on it trying to get it to be, so hopefully it worked. It was an honor to work on and I hope the fans can be appreciative of it. And I also want to say that the labels were great to work with, both Universal and KRS and the others were always very supportive in getting new music out there.

Kevin Moyer

Postby Kevin Moyer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Kevin Moyer

Postby eddiebrock » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Kevin, you did what people had yearned for someone to do for years - you got Universal to go out and approve the release of new Elliott music that they own. This is huge. I don't know if there will be any more after this, but just for that, you should be very proud.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby Daniel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 am

oh, wow! that's SPLENDID news!!!

If this will FINALLY allow to open floodgates, that would be lovely. First release of new music from Elliott since 2007.
Daniel

Have thanks: 26 time

Postby halfright » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 am

Finally watched the DVD after seeing the movie in the theater. I thought it was absolutely brilliant to have Angeles come in, with the tone that introduces it, right after the somber part around Elliott's death. It was like an awakening of hope, life... all we love about Elliott. Amazing. Question, great that some music is coming out around the soundtrack, but what is the record company waiting for. Elliott goes platinum in 2020, 2025?
halfright

Have thanks: 9 time

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion