Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

"Heaven Adores You"

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: "Heaven Adores You"

Postby m_coldham » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:06 am

This has probably already been discussed but was anyone else surprised by the relative glossing over over the "post-drug" years in the film? Clearly it's not a great thing to ask friends and fam to open up about, and by prying it open you constantly run the risk of perpetuating Druggie Elliott, but the prolonged treatment this era got in Nugent's book was at least interesting, and even funny sometimes, so I guess it felt weird that it was almost (literally) completely censored out of the film - At one point Mark Flanagan is describing Elliott's increasingly drugged appearance but the word 'abuse' seems to have been audibly cropped out of his speech so that it comes out: 'i could tell there was some substance -- there' - anyone else notice this? Makes me wonder if we got a slightly molly-coddled version of that period that shielded too much from the painful reality.

That said, the treatment it got, with friends' accounts like Dorien and a lady at the end whose name I've forgotten, who describes talking with him like being with a senior citizen, were heartbreaking and spoke volumes about how it must have been to be around him at that time, as someone who knew him. Plus the choice of music and use of this picture did a good job of pulling the old heartstrings...

m_coldham

Have thanks: 30 time

Postby eddiebrock » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I suspect it had to do with the fact that most of the folks who agreed to be interviewed and were there in Elliott's "pre 2001" days had all been cut off and isolated after that, and were either never close to him again or were only reached out to again in 2003 shortly before he passed. The one exception I can think of is Ashley and it was unfortunate that we didn't get some tales of how things appeared to be improving with him from her perspective, but I certainly can understand how she might not want to talk about it. At least we got to hear from her in the movie.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby Kevin Moyer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm

m_coldham wrote: so I guess it felt weird that it was almost (literally) completely censored out of the film - At one point Mark Flanagan is describing Elliott's increasingly drugged appearance but the word 'abuse' seems to have been audibly cropped out of his speech so that it comes out: 'i could tell there was some substance -- there' - anyone else notice this? Makes me wonder if we got a slightly molly-coddled version of that period that shielded too much from the painful reality.

No word was cropped out, that line was exactly how Flanny said it. I think he edited himself, probably, as he said it. Lots of things are still hard to talk about, and their relationship (as with many) never got full closure.

m_coldham wrote: That said, the treatment it got, with friends' accounts like Dorien and a lady at the end whose name I've forgotten, who describes talking with him like being with a senior citizen, were heartbreaking and spoke volumes about how it must have been to be around him at that time, as someone who knew him. Plus the choice of music and use of this picture did a good job of pulling the old heartstrings...

Thanks. We originally considered an unreleased all organ version of "The Last Hour", but it was too much, felt too much like a funeral. Photo is by the amazing Marina Chavez.
Kevin Moyer

Have thanks: 77 time

Previous

Return to General Discussion