Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

"Heaven Adores You"

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

"Heaven Adores You"

Postby numero9 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Original KS link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/91 ... th-project

FB: https://www.facebook.com/HeavenAdoresYou

TO: http://cmw.net/film/events/heaven-adore ... h-project/
SF: http://www.sffs.org/festival-home/atten ... adores-you

Since this is coming up soon, maybe we can use this thread as a discussion if any of us can see it in either San Francisco or Toronto. I can't find any threads in the last two pages related, so include other links, etc.

numero9 has been thanked by:
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Re: "Heaven Adores You"

Postby Kevin Moyer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I posted a couple things about it here: es-films-t438.html

Re: ES films?

Postby Kevin Moyer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:27 pm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember, twenty five plus years ago, meeting Elliott Smith for the first time at the bus stop in front of the high school that we both went to in downtown Portland.

I remember, 10 years after that, our friends having viewing parties when one of his songs was nominated for an Oscar and he was asked to perform at the Academy Awards – “one of us is on the moon!” someone shouted.

And I still remember, almost like it was yesterday, 5 years later when I was driving in a sudden rain storm and had to pull over to cry because the radio had just told me that he had died at the young age of 34 from a stab wound to the heart.

Elliott Smith had a knack for making you feel super connected and really understood, no matter how fleeting the time was that you might have spent together, or how much time would span in between such meetings, and he left a lasting and positive impression that I still carry with me today and has made me a better human being.

I think fans of his music feel the same connection. He could connect with your heart and mind through your ears and he could make the ugliest stories beautiful with his lyrics and melodies.

His sudden and tragic absence (all of them along the way) broke my heart and for years it was hard to communicate exactly how much Elliott Smith meant to me. I didn’t know how to tell others when it would eventually come up - and it would because the Portland music community is a tight knit group and I would also later release some of his music on my LFNNY effort - and it would be hard to explain without getting too esoteric and / or emotional, and it often also felt silly and like emotions that no one else could possibly understand unless they were already feeling the same.

So, for the past few years I have been working with Nickolas Rossi and J.T. Gurzi to put something together to hopefully communicate what I never could have said on my own. The skill and passion and integrity that these two guys have gifted to this project in helping to pay proper tribute to Elliott cannot be put into mere words.

This project is a love letter to Elliott and his music. It’s a love letter to Portland really too - as well as Texas, New York, and Los Angeles which are the other places that Elliott called home.

And most importantly, it’s a love letter from a whole bunch of other great people who were close to Elliott and loved him just as much too; friends and family who graciously trusted us with such a sensitive subject and put their own vulnerabilities aside to help us explain to the world why we all loved him.

It has been an emotional and intense journey, commiserating and confiding in each other and all who have shared with us, constantly scraping personal wounds that may never heal, in an open effort to feel better and give proper tribute to a friend and amazing musician.

We are currently doing everything that we can in order to use his music in the movie, and to find funding to help us afford the music licensing that comes with a project of this design - especially one with such an extensive list of music that we are utilizing in an effort to let Elliott speak for himself through his own body of art.

We have included songs that fans love, we have included songs that people have never heard, and we have included songs that can never be heard enough. We have included personal pictures and live footage dug out from forgotten boxes in the attics of friends, and we have captured the stories and memories of his life and music career as told by those who knew him best.

We have recently joined forces with friend Marc Smolowitz and are currently in post production and working very hard to bring all of these things together to hopefully explain, in a beautiful and honest manner, something conveyed as a whole that none of us could properly communicate on our own.

Follow along here if you'd like to.
https://www.facebook.com/HeavenAdoresYou

XOXO
Kevin

Kevin Moyer

Have thanks: 77 time

Postby tasha » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

how will this be released after the premiers? when will people everywhere be able to see it? this sounds so amazing...
tasha

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Kevin Moyer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:49 pm

well, we can't make any promises because you never know what will happen... but generally the whole reason for doing film festivals (besides so people can see it) is to get the film picked up by someone or some entity who will distribute it on a broader scale. so we will be screening it at as many festivals as we can get it into, and then hopefully someone will help us put it out there in a bigger way / DVD and etc so that as many people as possible can see it.

Kevin Moyer has been thanked by:
Kevin Moyer

Postby tasha » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks Kevin...I have no idea how much money this takes...if no one picks it up can we do a kickstarter campaign?
tasha

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Kevin Moyer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 am

We did a Kickstarter campaign to make the movie already. :0) But no worry, no matter what happens, I'm sure you will all be able to see this movie. Just please be patient with the specifics of when and where and how...
Kevin Moyer

Postby Kerfuffle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Kevin, Nickolas, thank you all! This is going to be SO worth the wait!
A naive, unsatisfiable baby

Kerfuffle has been thanked by:
Kerfuffle

Have thanks: 17 time

Postby Daniel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am

I've just had an idea. I understand that the wide release date is unknown due to so many difficulties that arise with the manufacturing of the DVDs, packaging, etc. Why not make it a download release? If PayPal is an available option, then many people around the world would be able to purchase, and producing a physical product can be bypassed. I believe this is the best way to get the film to the masses.

Anyway, can't wait to see it.

Daniel has been thanked by:
Daniel

Have thanks: 26 time

Postby Kevin Moyer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey all, I appreciate your interest and also your ideas but please don't worry about all that. We have extensive industry experience on this project, already have interested distributors, and we have cleared everything in the correct ways so that there should be no major obstacles to getting it out there. We want to do this properly and in the best way possible. The only thing we need from you is your patience while we go through the process. Again, I really really appreciate the intense desire to see our project and we really really want you to see it just as much. And you will, we promise! Just please be patient. In the meantime, who is coming to San Fran? Come say hello if you do! XOXO

Kevin Moyer has been thanked by:
Kevin Moyer

Postby thoraxcorp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:41 am

Have you ever considered going the way of Louis CK? Basically he releases his stand up specials on his own for pretty fair price payable via PayPal. This way more people have an opportunity to see it and you don't have to deal with distributors, etc. It would just be a shame if this doesn't get picked up by someone for distribution causing only a limited amount of people from seeing it.

Just a thought but I really think it's the way to go nowadays. The biggest distributor of music is the Internet and videos/movies are not far behind. Plus because of the fact that it's independeny released, that's less money getting paid to distributors, etc. Why give money to distributors who had nothing to do with the project when their job is basically obsolete and easily replaced by the Internet. That means more profits for you and and therefore more money to be used the right way.

Furthermore, it will allow people from all over the world the chance to see it, cheaply and easily. I really think you should consider this as an option.
thoraxcorp

Have thanks: 3 time

Next

Return to General Discussion