In a perfect world, we wouldn't have rules. But unfortunately, they are necessary and help message boards run smoother. Some of the best boards I've ever posted on have been the best moderated. You may roll your eyes, but having things organized and kept running under a watchful eye make all the difference in the world. Please note, above all else, moderator's have discretion to move, lock, warn, and request suspension/banning under whatever circumstances they feel fit on a case by case basis.
General Behavior Rules
- No personal attacks or insulting other users. No hate speech, no death threats.
- No thread hijacking (purposefully derailing a thread and taking it off topic in a disruptive manner)
- No spamming.
- No offensive content in avatars, signatures, or posts (excessive/pointless swearing, porn style photos, etc.. )
No Armchair Moderating
If you are not a moderator than do note attempt to moderate. It generally just degenerates thread and makes the jobs much harder for the actual moderators.
- No IBTL posts or other posts suggesting to lock a thread.
- No telling someone they'll be banned or waving "goodbye" to them when they do something you don't like.
- If you see a problem about a post in a thread, please hit the Report to Moderator button ("!") instead of posting in the thread about it.
- In general forward your complaints to a moderator on the board instead of posting them in public.
Thread Starting Rules
- Don't start a new thread when there are currently other threads in the forum discussing the same topic.
- Make your posts/threads meaningful and don't repeat topics that have already been discussed to death or can be easily found (i.e. "What if Elliott had lived," "where can I find ____ song," "what was elliott's real name?")
- If starting an off topic thread, be sure to label it appropriately. There is an off topic board, so topics may be moved or locked on a case by case basis.
- If you start a thread and it's locked, than don't start a new thread asking why it was locked.
Signatures may contain up to five lines of text (of small or normal size) or one image, valid combinations include; a single image of no more than 90px high, 400px wide and 50KB in size. Signatures containing an image this large may also include one line of small size text. Signatures containing an image of 60px high may include up to three lines of small size text or two lines of normal size text. Images of 15px height or less may allow up to four lines of normal size text or four lines of small size text.
- Text sizes should be between 9 and 12 (small and normal).
- Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, and so forth.
- Links in signatures are permitted. Linked sites may be commercial in nature. You may not link to warez, porn or political, racist or other similar hate sites. Links are included in signature size limits.
- Users abusing these rules will be warned and/or may lose their signature privileges. If you exceed the size limit your signature will be removed and you will be sent a warning and possible further action.
Users are permitted to link to a picture for use as an avatar. User defined avatars are to be no larger than 80 pixels square, contain no image which attempts to portray the user as having an official status here (e.g. mimicking ranks or copying avatars of Moderators), may not exceed 35KB in file size and have a consistently high availability (i.e. links to images on slow servers or those prone to failure may be removed).
- Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect to decency, and so forth.
- Users abusing these rules will be warned and/or may lose their avatar privileges. If you exceed the size limit, your avatar will be removed and you will be sent a warning and possible further action.
From time to time posters will sign up on these boards and give us information about unreleased tracks or state that they have unreleased tracks. While many fans are upset about this and want instant gratification, please understand that even information about music is worth something to other fans and that by making demands and being disrespectful and insulting to someone else, regardless of whether they were close to Elliott or just happened to obtain the track by some other means, extremely lowers the chance that you'll be able to get anything out of the person in the long run, whether it's just information or an actual leak.
- Any posters who continuously rub it in that they have unreleased material will get a warning, and then be banned if the behavior continues.
- Any posters who make continuous accusations towards a poster that claims to have unreleased material will get a warning, and then be banned if the behavior continues.