Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

June - August 1988 (A Murder of Crows - The Greenhouse)

Everything from his high school days up until he did the Roman Candle stuff.

June - August 1988 (A Murder of Crows - The Greenhouse)

Postby eddiebrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:43 am

Date: June - August 1988
Studio: "Plastic Cactus Studio" (thought to be a fake name, in reality most likely recorded at homes and apartments)
Producer: Elliott Stillwater-Rotter, Garrick Duckler, Mark Johnson, and Tony Lash.

[X] Mrs. Kennedy
[X] Shotgun
[X] Dear Eunice
[X] Back Seat John
[X] Condor Avenue
[X] Take a Fall (a portion of this recording was used as an outro to the single version of "Happiness")
[X] Chinatown
[U] Coraliza
[X] Maritime Blue
[X] 3

Release: Oregon Public Radio free mp3 download

Note: The debut album for Elliott's next band. These sessions were recorded during Elliott's first summer vacation from college. Colin Oldham, a friend of the band's noted the following about the sessions: "The session itself took place in a basement of a house up in Portland Heights, near Ainsworth School. A 'basement on a hill', as it were. It was probably Jason Hornick's parents' house. I remember meeting Steve [Smith] (not quite Elliott to the real world yet) and he was kind of quiet and intense with a dry and opaque sense of humor. He was serious about the music, though, even though he didn't really have all the tools yet. And as you can hear from the tape, neither did I! I only played on one track, 'Chinatown'. I listened to the mix they had, which was pretty much everything but the cello, a couple times and then went into the recording room, which was a little closet under the stairs. There were no charts, and I just had to figure out it was in C minor. I just improvised over the song 2 or 3 times, and they used what they wanted. I guess they didn't have very good editing tools, because they didn't do much to save me from embarrassing myself with wrong notes and aimless noodling, but I guess there are one or two good ideas in there. And that was that."

Anonymous poster on sweetadeline.net "Coraliza" added: "Murder of Crows was not really a band. It was a project that Elliott did with his very good high school friend Garrick Duckler the summer between his first and second year of college. The name of the tape they produced is called The Greenhouse. If I were to describe the music, the best descriptor would be proto-Elliott Smith. All the ingredients are there just not flushed out. The style of guitar playing, the songwriting (most notably Condor Avenue) are very recognizably Elliott. What is pretty different was his singing style. Elliott was a big Costello fan and had more of that staccato delivery back then. I think finding his voice (literally) was his biggest break through once he moved back to Portland."

Elliott provides lead vocals on all songs except "Maritime Blues," where Garrick Duckler sings lead.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Re: June - August 1988 (A Murder of Crows - The Greenhouse)

Postby eddiebrock » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Removed "Nightcap" and shifted it to the second Murder of Crows entry.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Re: June - August 1988 (A Murder of Crows - The Greenhouse)

Postby QueenIgneous » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm

how do i use the magic font for the next question I'm going to ask
QueenIgneous

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to 1983 - Fall 1993