Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Song Guide Update Thread

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: Song Guide Update Thread

Postby solveig » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:26 pm

eddiebrock wrote:I can change it although i will say "Happiness" is another example, recorded during XO but released on Figure 8.

right, but those followed each other in quick succession, we're not talking about a seven years gap!
not to be annoying, but it's a trademark of "basement", being made of songs sometimes so old - wouldn't it be confusing, if they appear as "new"? "the last hour" has basically not changed in all these years, unlike some of these older songs.
but i'm no expert.
solveig

Have thanks: 215 time

Postby eddiebrock » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Gotten about halfway through "C"

The more I work on these the more I realize just how much music he recorded before he was even of legal age. Stop to think about that for a second.

It's absolutely mind boggling. When I'm done I am going to link the eras to a page that lists all the songs belonging to that era and I'm placing an early bet that the "Pre-Roman Candle era" will have the most songs of Elliott's recorded output.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby sonofme » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:17 am

A quick 'thanks' for all your hard work on this! It'll be very useful for compilation making once it's done :)

Putting things into eras is great, but I can see that it creates a lot of issues and it's hard to be definitive. I guess you have to set up some rules for yourself and just go for it!
sonofme

Have thanks: 6 time

Postby eddiebrock » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Getting back into an update cycle. To get this done appears so overwhelming, but I've come up with a strategy to hit all of his releases first, and then complete the actual session listing associated with the releases as well.

To that end...quick entries for Roman Candle are now completed in the Session History!

http://alphabet-town.com/romancandle
http://alphabet-town.com/romancandleelectric

You can now click the name of the song to get to the song guide entry.

One slightly "important" revelation is that after a bunch of research and process of elimination, I'm putting myself on the line and declaring that the 5 demos that leaked in 2011 are all Roman Candle "outtakes," with Pete Krebs on tambourine (less certain about that). Support for this is based on the following:

* The guitar on all of the tracks is immediately recognizable as "Le Domino," Gonson's old guitar that he used on Roman Candle. This wasn't an instrument that was used by him until that time
* He didn't move into Gonson's until 1993
* He didn't even have proper recording equipment to do these sorts of songs himself until 1993

Enjoy!

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby m_coldham » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:24 am

Actually, the guitar used on those 5 demos is a 12-string, not the LeDomino... not sure that even appeared on Roman Candle so could be from a different era altogether.
m_coldham

Have thanks: 30 time

Postby eddiebrock » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Are you sure it's a 12-string? It sounds awfully similar to the guitar sound on "No Name #1" in particular across all the demos.

To date, we've also never heard anything about Elliott owning or using a 12-string until he wrote Tomorrow Tomorrow. Keep in mind, he was so talented that he played live on a regular guitar what was recorded in the studio on a 12-string.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby numero9 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 pm

I thought No Name 5 was on a 12-string that would predate Tomorrow Tomorrow.
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby SomethingLost » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:04 pm

eddiebrock wrote:Are you sure it's a 12-string? It sounds awfully similar to the guitar sound on "No Name #1" in particular across all the demos.

To date, we've also never heard anything about Elliott owning or using a 12-string until he wrote Tomorrow Tomorrow. Keep in mind, he was so talented that he played live on a regular guitar what was recorded in the studio on a 12-string.

:lol: good one.

I really don't think those four demos that leaked in '11 were Roman Candle era.
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby eddiebrock » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Since no one is ever going to give me a straight answer from those in charge, and since we all can't agree, here's a new entry:

http://alphabet-town.com/romancandle
http://alphabet-town.com/undateddemos

eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby eddiebrock » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Bumping this old thread. I'm halfway through "L"

Major highlight is perusing through WTS' page and finding out that he not only has been given tons of music, but has also been given tons of lyric sheets as well. No comment.

With that said, some particularly biting lyrics for "Let's Get Lost" that one can only conclude would have been written as Elliott began entering the dark phase of his life in late 2000/early 2001.

http://songs.alphabet-town.com/songguide

(crossed out: the price was steep) (crossed out: you can’t buy love)
(crossed out: the price)
the sun’s gone up
the sky looks steep
I feel so tired
too tired to sleep
what a (crossed out: beautiful) (crossed out: horrible) (crossed out: colorful) (crossed out: damning day) (crossed out: horrible fate to get)
but what a beautiful place to be lost in
(underline/separation line)
I been outside
invited in
had reasons to hide
been discovered again
I been sticking around at all costs
‘cos it’s a beautiful place to be lost
(crossed out: I fell in love
I watched it die
been happy as hell) (crossed out: been too happy to ???…)
(crossed out: and and so/too sad to be all there)

Enjoy.

eddiebrock
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion