Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Song Guide Update Thread

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Song Guide Update Thread

Postby eddiebrock » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 am

Going to use this thread to track updates to the song guide. I am knocking out 5 entries per day starting from "#" working my way through "B" right now.

http://songs.alphabet-town.com/songguide

Interesting revelations (some might be old)

* "3" is an early King's Crossing on the MOC cassette, a clip played in "Heaven Adores You"
* An acoustic demo of Baby Britain exists recorded as part of preparation for LP4 when it was called "Grand Mal"
* According to a discussion I had with Kevin, the song "Barriers" by Elliott and his Duncanville crew is not actually in the film, it was accidentally listed in the credits. WTS gives a good description of the track in his book, though.
* An acoustic demo of Bled White exists recorded as part of preparation for LP4 when it was called "Grand Mal"
* According to WTS' book, another experimental song was recorded most likely in the Basement days entitled "Blind Alley"
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 110 time

Re: Song Guide Update Thread

Postby SomethingLost » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:56 am

Something sad that we may be able to infer from Schultz' talking about the Harum Scarum tape, Trick of Paris; he explicitly mentions two songs, Catholic and Key Biscayne as turning into the later songs Everybody Cares and Mr. Goodmorning v.2 respectively... but doesn't mention the same of This Bed, which we know from Larry Crane turned into Blue Mood, a great song Elliott only played live once (02/06/01).

A second thought, somewhat related: on the Basement "Suppressed"/Unreleased leak, the Abused instrumental is listed as Blue Mood (instrumental). Perhaps this wasn't erroneous... is there a chance Abused was due to be renamed and given a new lyric? Same amount of syllables in the titles... "blue mood" could certainly be sung in the chorus similarly to "abused".
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby SomethingLost » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 am

Some more song queries you can perhaps answer/include in your guide.

******* John: is there not a Stranger than Fiction song titled Back Seat John? I always wondered if they were related.
What song from Stranger than Fiction/Harum Scarum was the Heatmiser song Nightcap?

Damn, I do wish we could get our ears on copies of those Stranger/Harum tapes. I know they're considered 'embarrassing', but they belong to history now...
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby numero9 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 am

Have you seen the Heaven Adores You film? I believe there's some Stranger Than Fiction stuff played. It's a real treat for this kind of thing.
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby eddiebrock » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:14 pm

In anticipation of the soundtrack release, I'm going to shift my focus away from going in alphabetical order and start working on and cleaning up the existing entries for the song guide that include the songs on the film. Additionally, I'll start creating the session entries for all of these and maybe throw up a post entitled "The Recording Sessions of Heaven Adores You" compiling the entries.

Kevin has been extremely generous with information about these songs and that is going to be a huge boon to my writeups. For now, I got through "B" on the song guide, I'll stop there for now and pick it up when I'm done with the Heaven Adores You stuff. This is gonna take forever at this rate. The amount of music that Elliott put to tape that is readily available to archivists, quite frankly, is stupefying and awe-inspiring.

SomethingLost - to answer your questions:

--To my understanding, there is no known version of "Blue Mood" recorded in the studio. The WTS book finally sheds light on exactly what was done with Jon, and that wasn't a part of it.
--No idea on the "Blue Mood" -> "Abused" theory, but it's interesting. I think it's just a bad mislabel by the purported drug dealers that put that bootleg collection into circulation, since "I'll be Back" is also labeled as "If I Fell."
--Back Seat John vs ******* John - that's probably for Kevin to confirm. I allude to the fact that they sound very similar.
--Nightcap - from my understanding, in WTS book it clarifies that the only reason Garrick got credited for Nightcap was because Elliott used like two lines from one of the Murder of Crows songs as he was writing the lyrics for Nightcap, but otherwise it is notably not a "newer" version of a high-school/college-era track.

Hope this helps.

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby eddiebrock » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 pm

Just finished transcribing "I love my room" lyrics. To my knowledge no one else has taken a stab at the lyrics before, so here's my attempt!

http://songs.alphabet-town.com/ilovemyroom

Let me know if there are any corrections.

eddiebrock has been thanked by:
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby m_coldham » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 am

what would be great Eddie is to have a breakdown of when each officially song dates from (recording-wise and writing-wise), especially with FABOTH which has songs ranging from '3' to 'Last Hour' (1996 session?) to 2001 sessions... really confusing and would be great to have an option to view track data sorted by 'Albums' as well as 'Sessions' if you see what I mean
m_coldham

Have thanks: 30 time

Postby eddiebrock » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:54 am

You must be psychic!

I am starting to color code the tracks right now. Check it out. You will see a lot of different colors.

Red - Figure 8 era
Pink - Heatmiser
Brown - From a Basement on the Hill-era
Green - Guest Appearance
Normal - Pre Roman Candle-era
Blue - Live Cover
Purple - Self/Titled-era
Yellow - Roman Candle-era
Orange - Either/Or-era
Gray - XO-era

With something like "Last Hour," that is probably one of the few weird one but I will go with the official release and stick it in FABOTH era.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Postby solveig » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:12 am

eddiebrock wrote:
With something like "Last Hour," that is probably one of the few weird one but I will go with the official release and stick it in FABOTH era.

sorry to intrude but? why stick it in the basement area when it's already a fully formed song in 96?
solveig

Have thanks: 215 time

Postby eddiebrock » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 am

I can change it although i will say "Happiness" is another example, recorded during XO but released on Figure 8.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion