Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Unreleased Elliott Songs (non Grand Mal / Confusion)

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: Unreleased Elliott Songs (non Grand Mal / Confusion)

Postby Dave_79 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm

eddiebrock wrote:He recorded Confusion with Jon Brion, so I doubt that it would just be an acoustic/guitar voice recording ;)

Sorry our list is behind. If there is anything in particular you want to ask about, go for it.

I would love to know why this is yet to be released, I love the live version with piano on the 'Confusion' live collection. I would love to think that there is a studio version featuring Jon on piano that may come out at some point
Dave_79

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby placeholder68 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm

numero9 wrote:I just don't understand how Dreamworks denied Elliott's follow-up to Figure 8 as being too "drugged out" when the main cuts presumably sound like an extension of Figure 8 -- Confusion, Mr. Goodmorning, Dancing on the Highway, Struck Down Again, etc.

Didn't these drugged out songs/versions of songs (I'm going to assume the changed True Love we don't have is also a resultant of this) emerge a bit after the rejection? Presumably Dreamworks's rejection might have had something to do with Elliott's depression and paranoia worsening. Figure 8 was his first real critical stumbling block, maybe Dreamworks shot him down more based upon how much those songs seemed, even production-wise (a big part of Figure 8's criticism), much more like Figure 8 than anything else.

Where was that said again?
Last edited by placeholder68 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder68

Have thanks: 5 time

Postby eddiebrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Jason wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding this list, but Cecilia/Amanda was released digitally by Kill Rock Stars back in 2009. Here's the link.

There was a formal version that was recorded for XO along with strings. It didn't turn out the way Elliott wanted, but it does exist (remains unheard by fans). Maybe that is what Dave is referring to.

http://songs.alphabet-town.com/ceciliaamanda
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby eddiebrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Dave_79 wrote:
eddiebrock wrote:He recorded Confusion with Jon Brion, so I doubt that it would just be an acoustic/guitar voice recording ;)

Sorry our list is behind. If there is anything in particular you want to ask about, go for it.

I would love to know why this is yet to be released, I love the live version with piano on the 'Confusion' live collection. I would love to think that there is a studio version featuring Jon on piano that may come out at some point

Anything from the FABOTH era beyond what was released on FABOTH has not been made officially available to the public, beyond "True Love", the alternate "Distorted Reality" and "Trouble." I like to think that "True Love" coming out was a one-time test the waters type of deal and Universal caved in and allowed it to be put out there, but as far as the rest of the era there are probably other complications in play. Chief among them is probably the fact that Elliott is probably not in the best shape for much of these tracks and despite his voice being "shaky" in some of what we've heard it could arguably be even worse on some of the other tracks. I would argue the later stuff from 2003 would be worth a gander but I can't blame the estate if they're starting from the 2001-2002 era recordings.

Let's not forget this was also the scrapped session that Brion gave up on. If it sounds anything like this "early" mix of True Love then personally, I'd rather not hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVSdxpUVoU

With that said, there IS an acoustic demo he recorded on the road in 2000 when he was in better shape. Perhaps we'll get to hear that some day.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Previous

Return to General Discussion