Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

Unreleased Elliott Songs (non Grand Mal / Confusion)

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Unreleased Elliott Songs (non Grand Mal / Confusion)

Postby Dave_79 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:17 pm

So I’m trying to find out just how many unreleased Elliott songs there are. We have Grand Mal which is fantastic, Heaven Adores You soundtrack coming soon and also Confusion for the rare songs Elliott performed live but never recorded in a studio. . . a couple of which possibly WERE studio recorded but have yet to be put out. I’ve read through the studio sessions and the Alphabet Town A-Z song guide but many of the songs on that list you can’t click on for more info, so you can’t tell if it’s an Elliott song or somebody else’s that he played on, produced, whatever. Obviously we can’t do much about songs that have not been leaked, but from what is already out there in some form, can anyone check this roughly chronological list and see what I am missing:

Crazy ******
We're All Friends Now
You Make It Seem Like Nothing
Abused
Burned Out, Still Glowing
Misery Let Me Down
Unlucky Charm
Have You Seen Her
A Silver Chain
Brand New Game
Cecilia / Amanda
Taking a Fall
Grand Mal
Instrumental #2 (Waltz)
True Believer
Confidence Artist
Flowers For Charlie
Instrumental 99
Place Pigalle
No Life
Stained Glass Eyes
Sorry My Mistake
I Figured You Out
Confusion
Let’s Turn the Record Over
My New Freedom
Blue Mood
True Love
See You in Heaven
Dancing on the Highway
Everything’s Okay
The Assassin
From the Poisoned Well
O So Slow
Yay!
Stickman
Mr Goodmorning
Suicide Machine

Re: Have You Seen Her, True Believer & We’re All Friends Now; I don’t have these, does anyone have a recording of these that they’re willing to send me? Please let me know any unreleased songs Elliott did that weren’t on my list. I’m making a lot of playlists including ones by era so would love to know about any missing songs. Thanks!
Dave_79

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Unreleased Elliott Songs (non Grand Mal / Confusion)

Postby numero9 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:56 am

True Believer hasn't seen light of day.

Have You Seen Her? is supposedly titled "I'm Over It Now". Only played at one show that we know of -- Supper Club, NYC, 10-26-97, no confirmed studio version. He could have played it more but no recordings have surfaced. I hope someday some news comes from this one, it's always been a personal favorite.

We're All Friends Now was only live too -- here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlt03-c-e0k
I'm guessing there's no studio version of it since it hasn't been mentioned and that time in Elliott's catalog is pretty accessible as far as unreleased things go, especially lately; I haven't heard any mention of it.

I'd also suggest, if you haven't already, to see the Heaven Adores You soundtrack and film. It has more unreleased stuff from the early eras.

numero9 has been thanked by:
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby Dave_79 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks. I didn't realise that True Believer wasn't out there yet or that Have You Seen Her was only played once.

I've seen Heaven Adores You and posted in that thread. Fantastic.

Are there any other rare songs you recommend other than Grand Mal / Confusion stuff (and New Moon of course)? Say any live Elliott songs or covers that are of a reasonable quality?

I've been making playlists by era, as accurately as I can. Just played through the whole S/T era on shuffle and am amazed at some of the songs that didn't make it onto the album!
Dave_79

Postby SomethingLost » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello! I believe there is a confirmed studio version of We're All Friends Now. As I remember, Larry Crane stated he had found one while compiling New Moon, however it would have sounded too anomalous among the other selections, so it was not included.

SomethingLost has been thanked by:
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby Dave_79 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 pm

I wonder how many other studio versions exist, confirmed or not. If there IS a studio version of Confusion, why has this never seen the light of day? Its too good not to be available to the fans!
Dave_79

Postby SomethingLost » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Per Torment Saint, we know there's a studio version of Confusion. That doesn't mean an arranged full band cut, but at the very least an acoustic guitar/voice recording.
SomethingLost

Have thanks: 9 time

Postby Dave_79 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Man, I so want to hear all these studio cuts
Dave_79

Postby eddiebrock » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 am

He recorded Confusion with Jon Brion, so I doubt that it would just be an acoustic/guitar voice recording ;)

Sorry our list is behind. If there is anything in particular you want to ask about, go for it.
eddiebrock
Site Admin

Have thanks: 108 time

Postby numero9 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:40 pm

I just don't understand how Dreamworks denied Elliott's follow-up to Figure 8 as being too "drugged out" when the main cuts presumably sound like an extension of Figure 8 -- Confusion, Mr. Goodmorning, Dancing on the Highway, Struck Down Again, etc.

Didn't these drugged out songs/versions of songs (I'm going to assume the changed True Love we don't have is also a resultant of this) emerge a bit after the rejection? Presumably Dreamworks's rejection might have had something to do with Elliott's depression and paranoia worsening. Figure 8 was his first real critical stumbling block, maybe Dreamworks shot him down more based upon how much those songs seemed, even production-wise (a big part of Figure 8's criticism), much more like Figure 8 than anything else.
numero9

Have thanks: 41 time

Postby Jason » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding this list, but Cecilia/Amanda was released digitally by Kill Rock Stars back in 2009. Here's the link.

Jason has been thanked by:
Jason

Have thanks: 2 time

Next

Return to General Discussion