Welcome
Visit our main site at http://alphabet-town.com!

1-27-13: Welcome Blamonet members!

what do we know about ES's music-making process?

Talk about Elliott here, in the most broadest of terms. For any ES talk that doesn't fit anywhere else.

what do we know about ES's music-making process?

Postby ghostnote » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 pm

I've always been curious about this. seeing all the alt and early versions of songs that he recorded, you get some insight into the process. i like comparing lyrics and instrumentation. did he ever say anything about how he made music? i think i heard that he got inspiration from dreams. does anybody have any more details?
ghostnote

Have thanks: 5 time

Re: what do we know about ES's music-making process?

Postby sonofme » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:46 am

Here's Elliott explaining some of his process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_XNghTKvq8

I thought there was a higher quality video than that... oh well! (ES seems so likeable in this video ;) )

In Autumn de Wilde's 'Elliott Smith' book, various friends expand upon what he says in the video about chord changes, how his favourite bits of songs were always particular chord changes or transitions and that he'd play those bits over and over, or he'd listen to a song just waiting for the transitiony bit he liked.

sonofme has been thanked by:
sonofme

Have thanks: 6 time

Postby ghostnote » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 am

that was a great video! thank you!
ghostnote

Postby sonofme » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:22 am

A bit more on this: there are extended interviews as bonus features on the Heaven Adores You DVD, and there is a specific section on 'The Songwriting Process'.

In short, Larry Crane, Joanna Bolme, Sean Croghan(sp?), Pete Krebs, et al talk about some of the things I mentioned above. They also say how sometimes he would play and write music endlessly in big chunks, and that the lyrics would come later (having been on tour or something). Conversely, he would also write lyrics for ages and ages without any music, and that would come later. They also mention how he would commonly recycle old ideas, and they mention his high school bands and music.

Hope that helps! :D Get the DVD!

sonofme has been thanked by:
sonofme

Have thanks: 6 time

Postby ghostnote » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:37 am

oh neat, thank you! i really should get the DVD :) i'm only nervous about how emotional it will make me hehe
ghostnote

Return to General Discussion